Master the Fretboard and Sound Great on Guitar
The only training you’ll ever need to understand guitar music so you can play confidently, pick up new songs effortlessly, improvise and create your own music, and simply sound great when you play guitar.
AS FEATURED IN
Fretboard Theory is the video course + guitar instructor support that will save you years and hundreds or even thousands of dollars in lessons, if you want to:
- Pick up songs and solos you hear on the radio, and play them moments later as if you’ve been practicing for weeks.
- Completely understand how to improvise solos and even write your own songs effortlessly, without wasting time on formal and traditional concepts you’ll never use.
- Jam with other musicians, without feeling embarrassed that you’ll only play the same chords over and over, and avoid playing random off-key notes that make everyone cringe.
- Sound great on guitar, and play confidently whether you’re in your living room, at church, around a campfire, or out playing a paid gig to a full room.
Hi, I’m Desi Serna, professional guitar instructor, best-selling author, and creator of the Fretboard Theory guitar instruction program.
Years ago, I was a basic guitar player like you, nothing fancy. I knew a few songs, and I could learn new songs and solos with a week of practice… as long as the solos weren’t too crazy.
Then there I was one Saturday afternoon, in a music store, watching a pro guitarist play. He was playing scales all over the neck of the guitar, and sounding absolutely amazing…
I got goosebumps listening to him.
And I realized I had a lot more to learn!
I bought several music theory books and began studying them… but something was missing.
The books taught a bunch of technical terms and traditional concepts, but they didn’t help me understand the music I wanted to play better.
If you’ve tried guitar videos, books, and in-person lessons before, you might have run into the same problems:
- Some music lessons cover other instruments — like piano — instead of being 100% relevant to guitar.
- Guitar lessons start affordable, but they can get expensive after a while… and if you’re not seeing progress quickly, you lose motivation.
- You’ll get bored easily if you’re not learning songs that are fun! (I wanted to get better at classic rock and popular rock music like Hotel California, Tears in Heaven, Stairway to Heaven, and Johnny B. Goode.)
- Some instructors waste 80% of the time on academic music theory concepts that you’ll probably never use.
- Many instructors will give you a string of interesting but somewhat random lessons that are missing important concepts. Or worse, they’re difficult to follow, especially after the first few intro lessons.
- You don’t want lessons that force you to spend weeks memorizing tabs and finger positions … you want lessons that help you fully understand what you’re doing and how guitar music works, so you can simply play and create music in half the time of traditional lessons.
I began to pick up on familiar patterns in the music. It became clear which types of chords and scales were used on guitar, and which weren’t. I saw how different components of music fit together on the fretboard to make great sounding guitar parts. I realized what type of music theory mattered and what type didn’t. I progressed rapidly, then I began teaching…
In my lessons, instead of using traditional method books, I showed my students what goes on in the minds of real players. These students quickly learned how to identify keys, compose chord progressions, and select scales just like the pros… And instantly, they began picking up songs easily and creating their own music! I was on to something.
That’s why I created the Fretboard Theory online course:
The Fretboard Theory course helps people like you who want to play confidently and sound great on guitar, and completely understand what the heck is going on in popular guitar music… without wasting time and money on traditional music lessons that won’t help you with modern guitar playing.
I guarantee that this course includes the exact guitar music concepts that will help you go from playing a few songs and memorizing pieces slowly, to being able to compose and play nearly anything by ear… and you’ll gain the mastery you need to play confidently for others or just for yourself (and maybe your dog!) at home.
And I’ll support you 100% along the way.
Want to jam with people you haven’t practiced with? Then click the “purchase” button already. This material doesn’t just teach you to play popular songs, it teaches you guitar theory… and from your newly gained knowledge, YOU can play the popular songs.
Obviously, everyone works at a different pace, but I finished the first 9 lessons in a short period of time. When I reached lesson 10, I was blown away by what I had learned. Shad
More specifically, you can expect
Over 30 Hours of Video Lessons
Over 30 hours of video lessons that will quickly build your guitar music theory skills, teaching you what really matters at your own pace.
Online & Offline Access at Gumroad.com
The course content is hosted at Gumroad.com. At Gumroad, you can stream the video lessons online in a web browser, download the video for offline use, or view all the same content in a mobile/tablet app so you can learn and practice anywhere.
Neck Diagrams & Tabs
Song Lesson Archive
Links to free song learning video lessons and backing tracks so you can make real music while you learn.
Lifetime Course Access
Lifetime course access, so you can learn at your own pace, and go back and polish up on anything you might have forgotten, days, weeks, or years later.
Lifetime Personal Support
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you’re not a better player in 30 days after following the lessons, just email me, and you’ll get a full refund, 100%.
As a result, I would start playing for a while and get frustrated by the fact I only had pieces of a puzzle and not a picture. Then I would put the guitar away until the next time I got the urge to really learn how to play.
However, when I decided to buy Fretboard Theory I found a system that actually helped me begin to really understand how things fit together. What I found most useful was how both the practical and the theory were emphasized, and that it was necessary to apply the theory to playing songs to really understand it.
The book references songs where the theory is applied and you can actually see the theory in action. More often than not I would find myself thinking, “Ah, that is what he is doing”. I was also impressed enough by the book that I purchased the videos that augment it. I found the combination of the book and the videos work well for me, and I am beginning to move in the direction I want to for the first time. MJC
What will I learn?
There are 20 chapters in the course, over 30 hours of video, to help you learn these key topics:
Based on Fretboard Theory 1
- Get to Know the Notes on the Fretboard
- Riff and Solo with Pentatonic Scale Patterns
- Form Chord Inversions Chord Voicings and Arpeggio Patterns with the CAGED System
- Form Minor Chords with the CAGED System and Combine CAGED Forms with Pentatonic Patterns
- Work with Major Scale Patterns
- Play Chord Progressions and Use the Number System
- Apply Scales to Chords and Progressions
- Unravel the Mystery of Music Modes and Use Modal Scales
- Understand and Use Music Intervals for Guitar
- Add Chord Tones and Extensions to Chords
Based on Fretboard Theory 2
- Get to Know the Key of a Song
- Count from Key Centers and Get to Know Scale Formulas
- Use Dominant Function, Harmonic Minor, and Voice Leading
- Play Key Changes, Modal Mixtures, and the Circle of Fifths
- Fill the Gaps with Chromatic Passing Chords, Diminished, and Augmented Chords
- Work with Popular Lead Patterns
- Add Major Scales and Modes to Lead Patterns
- Outline Chord Progressions with Chord Tone Soloing
- Explore and Apply Harmonic Minor Scale Patterns
- Play Pedal Point and Pedal Tones
For instance, (before Fretboard Theory) I looked at the CAGED system a number of times, but found it uninteresting, and did not know how to apply it. Now, (after Fretboard Theory) I love the system, understand how it fits with the major scale, its arpeggios, and how to use it.
Playing guitar is my outlet and hobby; when reading and working through Fretboard Theory, I got so excited, and I felt my mind was getting the recreation it needs. There was something about gaining understanding and fitting puzzle pieces together that was absolutely therapeutic. Listening to the songs Desi lists in every section, and hearing the concept applied is more than satisfying. Desi clearly has put incredible thought into how to sequence and explain the material. It is brilliant.
Several times I would have questions as I started a new concept in the book, and then the next paragraph would answer my question. The author is also very accessible. I highly, highly recommend Fretboard Theory. It is crucial for anyone serious about guitar and anyone who wants to be. Pep
Get a lifetime of guitar instruction — everything you need to be a better player, starting today — for less than you’d pay for a few hours of private guitar lessons.
VIDEO PRO PACK
- Permanent streaming access to all 30+ hours of Fretboard Theory video instruction
- Immediate downloads for all 30+ hours of Fretboard Theory video instruction… watch on-the-go from any device, no Internet needed
- Backing tracks, neck diagrams, and full tablature to help you master every lesson
- Links to free song lessons online so you can put the theory into practice by playing familiar music
- Lifetime direct access to Desi’s personal email, to help you with any questions along the way
- 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee so you can try the course **risk free** for 30 days, and then decide whether it’s right for you
Frequently Asked Questions
Will Fretboard Theory help beginners?
The Fretboard Theory Video Pro Pack is meant for guitarists who are well past the beginning stages of learning and have no trouble playing songs using barre chords.
JOIN NOW, START IMMEDIATELY
Sign up for the Fretboard Theory course today to get effective training and support so you play better guitar this month than you did last. Evolve your playing and understanding of guitar music into something you’ll be proud of, and do it in half the time and a fraction of the price of traditional guitar lessons.
Are you ready to rock?